A million thanks to Kelly over at Poky Little Wanderer for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! You are too sweet! 🙂
The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award given to and by bloggers for being creative, positive, and inspiring. I don’t normally think of myself as those things (and certainly not all at once!) so it warmed my heart to see this appear in my inbox this morning. I’m a little blog and I am notoriously bad at keeping up to date on my blog, so this is a nice kick in the pants to keep it moving!
The Rules for the Sunshine Blogger Award are:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog
- Answer 11 questions the blogger has asked you
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions
- List the rules and display the sunshine blogger award logo in your post
The Questions I Was Asked:
- How did you pick your blog name?
Many, many years ago (2013, to be exact) I took my first flight in 15 years – only the third flight I’d ever taken in my life. I had been terrified to even get on an airplane for a decade and a half, and the guy I was talking to wanted me to come visit him in Charleston. I seriously googled how long it would take me to drive from Buffalo to Charleston (spoilers: too long) when he said “well I’ll just buy you a plane ticket.” At the time, my black Chucks were the shoes I wore everywhere, and since he encouraged me a million times to wear socks to the airport I wore those to fly. I didn’t want to take a selfie at the airport because I was so nervous and I was sure it would show on my face, so I took a picture of my Chucks instead. It became a thing that I did every time I was at an airport, and when this blog was born in the summer of 2017, the “Traveling Chucks” already had some notoriety among my friends and family (I wore them when I got married to that guy who bought me that plane ticket 😉 ) and it just seemed right to name my blog after the shoes that had seen so many miles with me
2. What’s your favorite color and is there a reason it’s your favorite?
Yellow! I love how happy of a color it is, I love yellow flowers and birds and sunshine. Yellow hasn’t always been my favorite color – as a child I loved blue and purple – but after some pretty traumatic experiences in my late teens and early 20s I found myself filling my life with yellow to cheer myself up. It’s been my favorite color ever since.
3. If you had to live on just one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Pizza!!! Pizza is versatile – if I want vegetables, I can get vegetables; if I want lots of meat, I can do that; if I just want cheese, pile it on! It might be cheating to pick pizza since you can vary it so much, but I would pick pizza anyways. Potatoes in any form are a close second.
4. Why did you start blogging?
Three weeks after our wedding in 2017, my husband and dog and cat and I moved from Connecticut to California. I started this blog and my Instagram account as a way to keep our families and friends updated on our journey, as well as to keep a record of all the places we’d been for myself.
5. What’s something that you’re embarrassed to admit you like?
I have zero shame! I am embarrassed about none of the things I like because life is too short for that. I will say, though, that while my husband and best friend and I make fun of Guy Fieri all the time, I do unironically enjoy Guy’s Grocery Games.
6. Do you have a favorite quote? If so, please share.
“For thought is a bird of space, that in a cage of words may indeed unfold its wings but cannot fly.” from “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran.
7. What is your favorite social media platform (for personal use and for blogging)?
Instagram for both! I also still really love Pinterest and most of my cooking and home decor inspiration comes from there.
8. How do you feel about pineapple on pizza?
I enjoy pineapple on pizza but only in small chunks and only if it’s not too juicy, and only with sausage. Otherwise, no thx.
9. What’s a memory that still makes you laugh out loud when you think about it?
In 2013, my then-boyfriend/now-husband and I were driving through New York City and he sang the entirety of Fall Out Boy’s “Sugar We’re Going Down” in the voice of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. I can’t listen to that song with a straight face anymore.
Related: while I was typing that answer, I remembered and put on this YouTube video of “Chandelier performed by the Swedish Chef” and my husband a room over started singing along and dancing.
10. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Absolutely to snap my fingers and have a task be done. Folding and putting away laundry? Done. Too many dishes in the sink? Done. Forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer to thaw for dinner? Snap, done. I think I just need a fairy godmother…
11. What would be the title of the book written about your life?
Hmm. One of my poetry projects senior year was entitled “Birdsongs & Travelogues” and I still really love that name, so I might stick with that.
My Sunshine Blogger Award Nominees:
These are some of my favorite blogs! Be sure to check them out!
Questions for My Nominees:
- Where is your favorite place to travel to?
- What book(s) has/have been influential on your life?
- If you won the lottery, what are the first three things you would do?
- What’s your favorite way to relieve stress?
- If you were a dog, what breed/type of dog would you be?
- Coffee or tea? Why?
- What was your favorite movie when you were a kid?
- What’s your favorite type of music?
- Are you a morning person or a night person?
- What’s your favorite creative outlet?
- If you could go anywhere in the universe, where would it be?